Be ahead of the other applicants for positions in the Hospitality industry with Practical Skills that include how to prepare
a bar for service, take drink orders, prepare and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and close the bar down.
Pour BEER – not water, learn in a real bar environment from industry professionals!
This course will train you to prepare a bar for service, take drink orders, prepare and serve alcoholic and
non-alcoholic beverages and close the bar down. You will also set up a bar display and work area according to
regulatory and organisational standards and style of bar service.
Why Should I Attend?
This course will equip you with this skills and knowledge to:
- set up, operate and close down a bar for multiple service periods
- prepare a diverse range of drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic to meet diverse customer requests
- use the correct equipment, ingredients and standard measures to prepare alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- work with speed and efficiency to deal with numerous service and operational tasks simultaneously
integrate knowledge of:
- different types of bars and bar service
- organisational standards for operating the bar
- major types of beverages and their characteristics
- safety issues and safe work practices of specific relevance to bar operations.
This course provides you with 6 hours of practical experience behind a bar.
Some elements covered in this course:
- Check and restock bar products and materials and complete documentation
- Store all items in correct place and at correct temperature
- Complete mis en place requirements for decorations, coasters, edible and non-edible garnishes according to organisational standards
- Take drink orders
- Take orders, note or memorise them correctly
- Check and identify specific customer preferences
- Make recommendations and suggestions to assist customers with drink selection, and promote or upsell products
- Receive and process customer payments
- Prepare and serve drinks
- Prepare alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages according to legal and organisational standards, using the correct equipment, ingredients and standard measures
- Serve drinks using required glassware and garnishes
- Minimise wastage and spillage
- Check beverage quality during service and take corrective action when required
- Report beverage quality issues promptly to the appropriate person
- Provide tray service where appropriate, according to organisational procedures
- Attend to any mishaps promptly and safely
- Close down bar operations
- Shut down equipment according to organisational safety procedures and manufacturer instructions
- Clear, clean or dismantle bar areas according to organisational procedures
- Store leftover garnishes at the correct temperature
- Check and reorder stock according to organisational procedures
- Set up bar correctly for next service, ensuring equipment, stock and glasses are in the correct place
- Conduct a handover to incoming bar staff and share relevant information
- Work safely and reduce negative environmental impacts
- Use safe work practices of specific relevance to bar operations
- Use energy, water and other resources efficiently when operating and cleaning the bar to reduce negative environmental impacts
- Recycle any glass and plastic bottles and containers
- Safely dispose of all waste, especially hazardous substances, to minimise negative environmental impacts