You haven't been trained
until you've been AusTrained

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) & how do I apply?

RPL is a form of assessment that acknowledges skills and knowledge gained through:

  • Formal training conducted by industry or education
  • Work experience
  • Life experience

The main principle of RPL focuses on the outcomes rather than when or where the learning occurred. Evidence of competency is collected by the applicant and submitted to the nominated assessor and assessment is made based on the required industry standard within the relevant training package unit of competency.

For more information and details on how to apply, please download our RPL Information Kit.

2. When will my NSW RSA and RCG Certificates Expire?

Photo competency cards expire 5 years after the completion of the first course which was completed. If other courses are completed at a later date, the competency class can be added to the card and the card can be reissued, but the expiry date will remain the same.

Example: You complete an RSA course on 1 August 2013, and obtain a photo competency card. The expiry date will be 1 August 2018. Later you want to work in a Hotel and your duties will involve gaming machines (pokies), so you complete an RCG course on 30 June 2014. You will need to complete an Additional Competency Endorsement Form (form CC0570) to get a new photo competency card mailed to you. The new card will show that you have both RSA and RCG competency, however the expiry date will still be 1 August 2018 (5 years after the date you completed the RSA course).

You can renew your photo competency card for five years by completing online refresher training with Liquor & Gaming NSW. If your card is expiring soon, you will be notified by email and SMS about how to renew and complete the online refresher training.

Please click here for more information.

3. What is a Photo Competency Card?

To get your first competency card you must pass an RSA or RCG course, or both, through an approved training provider such as Austrain Academy. When you complete the course, your provider will give you an interim certificate that allows you to work for the first 90 days while you order and receive your photo competency card.

Take your interim certificate with you to a Service NSW Service Centre, as well as 100 points of ID that are all originals. Note that your personal details on your interim certificate must match your ID – any discrepancies can be fixed at Service NSW. Your photo will be taken and you should receive your NSW photo competency card in four weeks.

Apply for a card as soon as possible to ensure your interim certificate doesn’t expire before receiving your competency card in the post.

Photo competency cards are plastic cards similar to a NSW drivers licence that indicates which competency certifications have been obtained.

The digital version of the photo competency card makes it easier to carry, display, update, and renew a licence using a smart phone or tablet. If you have a digital competency card you don't need to carry the photo card.

Please click here for more information.

4. Can the Academy Provide Group Training Sessions on Site at my Business?

Yes, however minimum numbers will apply. Click here to contact us for further information.

5. Am i required to have an FSS Certificate?

Why is a Food Safety Supervisor important?

Food laws in NSW require certain food businesses in the hospitality and retail food service sector to appoint at least one trained FSS.

The aim of an FSS is to prevent individuals from becoming ill from food poisoning as a result of incorrect handling and preparation of food. St

Statistics show that incorrect food handling practices in retail food businesses account for more than one-third of foodborne illness outbreaks in NSW, costing the community hundreds of millions of dollars each year in healthcare and lost revenue.

Appointing an FSS gives food businesses a better level of onsite protection for food safety, and gives consumers peace-of-mind when dining out or buying food in NSW.

Who needs a Food Safety Supervisor?

The FSS requirements apply to businesses that process and sell food at the retail level, eg food that is:

  • ready-to-eat,
  • potentially hazardous (requires temperature control), and
  • not sold and served in the supplier’s original packaging.

These businesses include:

  • Restaurants
  • Cafés
  • Takeaway shops
  • Caterers (eg process and serve food at one fixed location)
  • Mobile caterers (eg process and transport food to more than one location)
  • Bakeries
  • Pubs
  • Clubs
  • Hotels
  • Temporary premises (eg food market stalls)
  • Mobile food vendors (eg process and sell food from a van)
  • Supermarket hot food sales (eg hot chicken)

Certain food businesses do not require an FSS. See the Food Authority’s website for details.

6. I am an international student. Can I enrol in training courses with Austrain Academy?

The Minister for Education and Youth has made a legislative instrument, the Education Services for Overseas Students (Exempt Courses) Instrument 2021, exempting specific courses from the definition of course under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act). This exemption was developed through consultation with the sector over September-October 2020 and March-April 2021. It allows education providers to deliver certain courses to overseas students without registering them on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

This instrument came into effect on 29 June 2021.

  • SITHFAB002: Provide responsible service of alcohol (NSW RSA)
  • SITHGAM001: Provide responsible gambling services (NSW RCG)
  • SITHFAB005: Prepare and serve espresso coffee
  • SITXFSA001: Use hygienic practices for food safety*
  • SITXFSA002: Participate in safe food handling practices*

* NSW Food Safety Supervisor certificate program requires both units to be completed successfully